WHAT ARE YOU AIMING TO ACHIEVE? DO YOU WANT TO…
Drive traffic to your website? Build brand awareness? Increase sales? Grow your database?
It’s vital to define clear objectives and expectations from the outset
GRAB YOUR AUDIENCE
- Use an engaging, informative and clear subject line to encourage readers to click through.
- Ensure that it is relatable to our audience.
Avoid clichés or jargon which wouldn’t appeal to our readers.
- Keep your message concise. Don’t overload your e-shot with too much text. If your e-shot is too text heavy readers will lose interest.
- Use your image logo or other relevant images to give the reader immediate insight into what your email is about.
- Be creative – think about how you can differentiate your email to ensure it will make an impact and stand out.
- Make your content relevant to our reader base. E.g. If you are advertising a product, include how it can help our specific audience. How can it benefit the education sector? Can you include an endorsement from someone in the industry?
- Offer an incentive – also make this industry specific. E.g. Mention that you are offer a 10% discount
for any education professionals, higher education institutions.
- Encourage contact, include various ways for the reader to get in touch (web, email, phone).
- Include social media icons to highlight that they can connect via social if relevant.
CALL TO ACTION
- Include a clear Call To Action in the top third of your e-shot so that it is seen in the first instance
when the email is opened.
- Include further CTAs within your e-shot but ensure your main aim is the focus.
Don’t confuse the reader by telling them to do too much.
- If you’ve never designed an email before visit: http://bit.ly/1DPsosA
- If you have experience designing emails, please ensure it’s maximum 600px width and images are in RGB with at least 72dpi (GIFs are suitable).
- Remember to put important information in the first frame of animated
images (some email clients only display the first frame)
E-shot submission checklist
- WHEN TO SUBMIT:
Please submit you HTML ready e-shot one week before the agreed send date. This deadline will ensure that we can upload your content to our mailing system and schedule the send date in good time.
- FORMAT FOR SUBMISSION:
HTML ready in a zipped file with all design complete.
- WHAT DO WE MEAN BY ‘ALL DESIGN COMPLETE’
All images embedded in to the mail shot, all links checked, no text amends necessary.
I.E. for all intents and purposes we can drop what you’ve supplied into our mailing system straight away and send on without any issues.
- SUBJECT LINE:
To ensure that your email reaches as many of our contacts as possible, it’s imperative that you supply a subject line that is attractive and conveys a clear message. Please submit this at the same point you provide the e-shot itself.
- BEST PRACTICE:
If you are unsure on how best to put together your HTML you can create a free Mailchimp account, where you can build the email with ease. MailChimp has a campaign builder (no code needed) with a Word-like interface, so it’s really user-friendly. The advantage is that it constructs the email code to a very high standard
– and we won’t experience any errors when we gather the preview email campaigns from you.